Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

No one likes change, Milwaukee and Toronto.

You know how Major League Baseball teams keep changing their uniforms and hats and adding alternate jerseys and making life a little less worth living for their fans? Well, it bothers me. I mean, it's one thing for a recent expansion team like the D'Backs to keep changing their color scheme around and not be able to decide on one logo. None of their uniforms ever looked any good, anyway (seriously, purple and green?). But even the Red Sox, one of the American League's charter franchises, now have four different uniforms and a disgraceful second cap that even Sox fans hate. But what I really hate is when a team has a perfectly good uniform and then decides to change it for no apparent reason.

As the awesome blog Sully Baseball has pointed out, the Milwaukee Brewers and Toronto Blue Jays are guilty of replacing awesome uniforms with ugly and forgettable ones. More specifically, in my opinion, each franchise abandoned a great hat logo for a stupid one. When I saw Sully's posts, I could immediately relate. Every time I'm in a hat store and see the old M-B glove hat next to the barley or the bird that adorned Joe Carter's helmet next to the unsightly 'J,' I die a little inside.

The Brewers had what has to be the coolest cap of all time. It's such a cool looking hat that I bought one even though I'm a huge Yankees fan. Like Sully, I remember when I figured out that the glove was made up of an 'M' and a 'B' as a kid and being completely awestruck. It's a great logo. I mean, seriously. It's a picture of a baseball glove that spells out the initials of the team name. IT'S GENIUS. And yet the Brewers have had some incredibly forgettable hat designs since then, finally landing on the bland 'M' with the barley. Come on, Milwaukee! I know you haven't worn the glove hats since you were in the AL, but that doesn't stop you from breaking them out on retro nights. Just do us all a favor and bring them back for good. When I watch Baseball Tonight and see Brewers highlights, it'll be much more enjoyable and engaging. Trust me.




Toronto's old hats weren't quite as amazing as the Brewers', but their current hats are far worse than Milwaukee's halfway decent ones. I mean, the bird the Jays wore during their back-to-back World Series titles in '92 and '93 is nothing short of majestic. It remarkably manages to have a baseball, a multi-colored bird, AND a maple leaf (just in case you forgot they play in Canada) without appearing too busy. It was the logo they had when they were the team to beat, when Joe Carter took Mitch Williams deep. And they replace it with what looks like an Arena Football logo. Or, worse, their alternate 'T' hats with the most God-forsaken font I've ever seen. I bet Roy Halladay would've stayed if you would have gone back to the old hats, Toronto.

But seriously, when teams have a good design, they need to stick with it. And when they don't, like the Brewers and Blue Jays, they need to make every night retro night.

No comments:

Post a Comment